The largest monolith statue in the world, The Great Sphinx of Giza, stands guard over the Great Pyramids. It’s the oldest known monumental sculpture, and is commonly believed to have been built by ancient Egyptians of the Old Kingdom during the reign of the Pharaoh Khafra (c. 2558–2532 BC).
Lesser known fact (and the point of this post) the Sphinx was once buried up to its neck in sand!
After the Giza Necropolis was abandoned, the Sphinx became buried up to its shoulders in sand. The first documented attempt at an excavation dates to c. 1400 BC, when the young Thutmose IV (1401–1391 or 1397–1388 BC) gathered a team and, after much effort, managed to dig out the front paws, between which he placed a granite slab, known as the Dream Stele
Later, Ramesses II the Great (1279–1213 BC) may have undertaken a second excavation.
In AD 1817, the first modern archaeological dig, supervised by the Italian Captain Giovanni Battista Caviglia, uncovered the Sphinx’s chest completely. The entire Sphinx was finally excavated in 1925 to 1936, in digs led by Émile Baraize.